As a part of the K3CI project, Cinema Now Festival also introduces its art programme, which will feature three expositions, which will include the Serbian-Hungarian artist Viktor Kiš. Another exposition is a joint product of Anica Draganić and Maria Silađi, while the third one will be handled by Symposion, a Serbian publishing house.
VIKTOR KIŠ creates large-format sculptures, mostly representing moments of release, as well as elements of a parallel world, which the artist experiences as righteous and fairytale-like. Most of his works were featured at numerous festivals, including the eponymous Burning Man in Nevada, which later recommended Viktor for the 2017 Venice biennale.
He graduated from high school in Budapest, furthering and completing his education at the Faculty of Applied Arts in Belgrade, Department of Ceramics. He was also proficient in the ceramics craft, but during his college days he showed great interest in metal. He spent years as a locksmith at various construction sites, where he mastered the craft and the technology.
Furthermore, he is also the pioneer of the most attractive art quarter in Belgrade “Ciglana”, as well as the “Heavy Industry Lovers Club“ found at the same location, where various artists and other creative people are given the opportunity to express themselves and display their work.
He is also involved in performance art and video production. His performances are usually aggressive, fiery, and send a very clear message.
ANICA DRAGANIĆ AND MARIA SILAĐI will present the architectural heritage of Svilara, a former factory and today’s popular cultural station, as a generator of the first industrial zone in Novi Sad.
Anica Draganić and Maria Silađi issued the following announcement:
At the banks of Almaški neighbourhood; the dried out part of the marsh, the first industrial zone in Novi Sad arose just at the end of the 19th century. Until then, the image of the rural area changed its structure only gradually.
The first major industrial plant, erected in 1884 at the Danube bank, and just downstream from today’s junction of Episkopa Visariona Street and the Belgrade Quay was the national silk factory. The modern industrial complex was characterized by a technological process unique in the Kingdom of then-Austria-Hungary. In the following years, the industrial zone spreaded with the building of the abattoir in 1885, and the gas manufacturing factory in 1888.
Until the beginning of the 20th century, the silk factory, with its 400 employees, was booming with the amount of annual profit, and was exporting silk threads to Austria, Germany, France, and Italy, and developed into the most modern silk factory in Hungary. In the interwar period, new production processes were introduced, resulting in a string of reconstructions and modernization within the existing complex. Alongside the national silk factory, Novi Sad also had seven privately-owned textile factories, the most important being the Mechanical weaving factory “Textile“, owned by Dragoljub Ristić.
After the war, the reparation period marks a new phase in the development of silk production in Novi Sad. The machines used before the war were found in Hungary and were returned, thus the production continued in 1947 at the same place, under a new name – the Vojvodina Silk Industry. In the mid-60’s, the textile industry completely integrated into the Novi Sad Textile Combine. Together with a new factory complex in the industry zone, the Combine also got a new name in 1974 – the Novi Sad Textile Industry, or NIT in Serbian.
After more than two centures of silk producing tradition, the Almaški neighbourgood ceased being the seat of an important industrial activity. By the end of 1970’s, the factory was demolished, with residential complexes built in its place. The only witness to the former silk tradition is today’s cultural station Svilara.
Viktor Kiš, Anica Draganić and Maria Silađi, and Symposion come to Novi Sad as a part of the K3CI project, a part of the Interreg-IPA Cross-border Programme Hungary-Serbia, designed for managers in culture and producers from Serbia and Hungary. The main goal of the project is the strengthening of cooperation between contemporary cultural and creative scenes in Hungary and Serbia through strengthening professional competencies, artistic production and transfer of knowledge. The partners of the project are the Cinema City Association, Kulturanova association from Novi Sad, and MASZK and KEP-SZIN-HAZ from Szeged.